Old October 23rd 05, 01:47 AM
Larry Roberts

Default Is the Geforce 6200 256 Good for Age of Empires III?

On 21 Oct 2005 20:05:46 -0700, wrote:

I was looking at this one from newegg.com:

XFX PVT44AWAMG Geforce 6200 256MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail
Model #: PVT44AWAMG
Item #: N82E16814150107

I only have $100.00. I can wait and save, if I have to. I want the
best from my RTS games. Sorry, don't do a lot of FPS, so Doom and the
like do not factor in. I know that nVidia recommends the 6800, but
that is way outside my price range. Also, is the difference between
128 versus 256 discernable with the human eye? Am I just paying for a
number that I really can't tell the difference with?

Thank you for any help.

You wanna be careful here. There are 64bit, and 128bit memory
bus versions of this card. You'll wanna stay clear of the 64bit as it
is half the performance of a full 128bit card. Of all the 128bit cards
I've seen, they usally have fans cause they would overheat running at
full speed, but there are 64bit cards with fans as well.
The only AGP 6200 with a` 128bit bus listed at Newegg is this
MSI for a $106.00.
This looks to be a 6200 based on the NV43 core which is the 6600's
core. You can unlock the 4 masked pipes, and have a 6600. Nvidia
replaced the 6200's NV43 core with an NV44A to lower the cost. Those
new cores come on 64bit memory buses, and have no masked pipes to
unlock.
However... If your gona try to unlock the extra pipes on a
NV43 based 6200 to score a 6600 like card, for $7.00 more you can get
a true 6600.

If you save an extra $50.00, you can get a 6600GT.