Old October 22nd 05, 10:07 AM
deimos

Default Is the Geforce 6200 256 Good for Age of Empires III?

wrote:
So you think the Geforce 6600 128 would be good or would that be like a
Geforce 6200 256? Thanks again.

Large amounts of RAM are a common marketing gimmick with low end cards.
They do not specifically benefit from it, nor will you be able to see
a difference between a 6200 128MB and 256MB version in most circumstances.

Also, the larger RAM sometimes is used to hide shortcomings with that
particular version. For example, a 64-bit bus instead of a 128, or
reduced clock speeds, or even the new "TurboCache" gimmick.

Chaintech even has a passively cooled 512MB 6200, but it has only a
64-bit bus! Completely stupid.

Further research on the XFX website shows that this particular card only
has a 64-bit bus. Here's the base model page:

http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product/...ation Id=1058

In fact in the quick search I just did, I only found one 128-bit 6200 in
your range:

Now notice that you're getting to that 100.00 mark and over in order to
get a decent version of that card. So 70 for a 64-bit, 100 for a
128-bit. Not a very good deal eh? Well if you do feel like spending
roughly 100+, then you can look at 6600's which are a great value and
start at 113.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...m it=Property

Any of these will be far faster than a 6200 and are definitely worth
considering if you want a decent card. Otherwise, if you're going to
get a 64-bit, get the absolute cheapest one you can, forego the memory
size, but still ignore TurboCache.