Old January 25th 04, 06:23 AM
No Longer a LiteOn Customer

(JamesMason) wrote in message . com...
Look, all this crap is manufactuured on assembly lines in the worst
parts of Asia, their quality control department has an occasional
miss. The same thing can be said of Sony, Toshiba, etc... You just

If it is an "occasional miss", why won't they simply replace my
defective unit with a non-defective one? (as explicitly promised by
their CS representative in the course of exchaning emails).

miss. The same thing can be said of Sony, Toshiba, etc... You just
testified that you have a history of positive experiences with Lite-On
products, so now with one bad experience you want to abandon them
(your choice of course) and you want to post here to try to encorage
others to avoid their products.

James, I post here to let people know of my experience. Whether you
avoid their products or not is YOUR decision (or choice, as you put
it). I believe that information needs to be shared. I wish I could
read a posting like mine *before* I decided to purchase the Lite-On
LVD-2001. I check this newsgroup regularly.

Based on what you've said I'll avoid the Lite-On LVD-2001, but like
you I've had a positive experience with the rest of their products
I've tried, it makes no sense to bash or boycott a brand just because
of one bad product (most likely your specific model was bad, how do
you know this one wasn't droped off a truck or something? Are you even
sure LiteOn is to blame?

Absolutely. If you read the correspondence carefully, you will notice
that the product made its way to Lite-On and back to me. It was
returned to me in the same exact condition I sent it to them (even the
S/N was the same ;-)).

I agree with you that it makes no sense to bash or boycott a brand
just because
of one bad product, but this is not the case here. I intend to stop
purchasing Lite-On products because of their "customer service".
Lite-On's "customer service" taught me that their WARRANTY is USELESS.
When I wish to buy an item cheaply, without a warranty, I buy it
used/refurbished on eBay...