Old June 30th 10, 10:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Brian Cryer[_2_]

Default tape as an archival medium

"Boris Epstein" wrote in message
Hi all,

I used tapes aplenty back in the 1990's. They were a relatively cheap
way to save your data; obviously, slow if you had to access it. And
after 2-3 years they would usually go flaky (I am talking 4mm and 8mm
tapes).

Now I am wondering if anybody has had any recent experience with them
and what they impression is. We are potentially looking to archive up
to 20 TB of data (for now).

Any reports of experience, both positive and negative, would be
greatly appreciated.

Like "Manuel" I also backup to disk - cycling removable 2TB disks. We made
the choice to go to disk because it was cheaper and faster. That said, if
you are looking at 20TB then that's either a lot of disks or a very large
disk changer (last time I looked tapes were up to 400GB), so you may be
looking at a very expensive backup solution.

Out of curiosity what do you currently backup (your 20TB) to?
--
Brian Cryer
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian