Old December 27th 20, 11:25 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware
Mark Lloyd[_6_]

Default Have you ever had a working PC that wouldn't go into the BIOSmode?

On 12/26/20 8:58 AM, John McGaw wrote:

[snip]

Yes. More than once. Usually it is a matter of the BIOS mode being
dependent upon a particular keyboard connection. In old MBs it was not
uncommon for them to watch for signals from PS2 keyboards only. Any USB
keyboards would be ignored until after the boot and some driver or other
was loaded.

Usually, I would prefer USB. However, I used to have some older systems
without USP support in BIOS, and I would use a PS/2 keyboard for those.
IIRC, that was true with the PII-class Celeron with "Y2K compliant"
motherboard.

[snip]

Oh, and yes, I've had a couple of mystery MBs were I had to play
guessing games about which key and precisely when to press it to achieve
BIOS.

Of those I've had, ESC DEL F1 or F2 worked on most so I try all those
keys one after another.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"If fascism ever comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and
carrying a cross." -- Upton Sinclair, Huey P. Long, and others.