Old February 6th 04, 02:01 AM
kony

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 00:20:58 +0000, Robert Downes
wrote:

DaveW wrote:
It sure sounds like the harddrive died. As for external causes, does your
Power Supply have adequate output to drive all your components?

Got an Antec TruePower 550W in there, because I did some research and
found that the TruePower is a popular and highly regarded product.

The drive is an SATA, by the way.

I tried installing Windows again, but now Windows can see the drive and
its partitions but will no longer attempt to recognise it as a valid
volume. chkdsk fails to detect the drive at all.

It looks like the drive is well and truly dud. I bought the drive from
overclockers.co.uk and after describing this situation they informed me
that the email is being sent to their support team.

Are the retailer liable for a hard drive that fails on the day it
arrives? Does anyone know if overclockers.co.uk are the sort of people
that will honour such a replacement without quibbling?

They ought to take it back if it failed then, and that's the route I'd
take, since RMA to Maxtor might mean you get a refurb'd drive back...
IIRC they do not guarantee that you'd get a new one, though you might
since it's a current model.