Old July 6th 03, 02:03 PM
MiniDisc_2k2

"Paul Hill" wrote in message
I have a system comprising a 2 disk striped Promise array (2 x 40gb

maxtors
= 80gb) and another disk (not part of the RAID) which I use for backups.

Windows XP is installed on the RAID array and all disks (the RAID and the
backup were formatted as NTFS).

I recently had some problems (the RAID crashed) and I wanted to recover

some
files from my backup drive and transfer them to my laptop. I noticed that
even though I disconnected my RAID drives and booted from a Windows 98
bootable diskette, I could not see the remaining backup disk. This is not
too surprising I guess because Windows 98 is incompatible with NTFS.
However, I also booted using a Caldera DOS bootable diskette but this also
couldn't see the backup drive (I expected this to be NTFS compatible).

Having recovered my RAID array some days later, I decided I would

re-format
my backup drive using FAT32 then I would be able to see it regardless of

O/S
should the situation arise again.

Windows XP wouldn't allow me to format the drive using FAT32 (it always

gave
a completely useless error message towards the end of the format -

something
like "Couldn't complete format"). So I used Partition Magic 8. This

worked
a treat, however I now have the problem that each time I boot my system I
get the message "Remove disks or other media. Press any key to restart".
If I press return, booting into Windows XP continues without a problem.

(I
do not have any diskettes or CD's in the drives).

If I physically disconnect my backup (FAT32) hard drive then the machine
boots straight into Windows XP (using the RAID) without displaying the
message. When I reconnect the FAT32 drive I get the message and have to
acknowledge it before booting resumes from the RAID!

This is extremely annoying.

Can anyone explain what is happening here? I guess it could be a couple

of
things:

1. Partition Magic has somehowe altered the boot sequence so that it tries
the FAT32 drive before the RAID! (The RAID is drive C: and contains a
number of partitions, the FAT32 drive is drive H.

Well if you reformatted the drive, then the boot sequence is going to be
severly messed up (IIRC). I'll tell you exactly what I think happened later.

2. Windows XP is trying to boot from a FAT32 drive prior to trying to boot
from an NTFS drive. I wonder if reformatting the FAT32 drive to NTFS will
stop this happening, although I will be back to square 1 and unable to

read
the drive from a boot diskette!

Windows XP should be able to figure out that it's a FAT drive, and the fact
that you changed the file system should be a minor conversion for windows.

I would appreciate your help in resolving this situation.

Regards.

Paul.

What I REALLY think is happening is that you have one FAT drive and one NTFS
drive (you said you formatted one of the drives, not both). This could be a
bit troublesome. RAID is supposed to either make a copy of the data for you
or split the data evenly between the two drives, or both. Thus, both drives
will be in use. Unfortunately, if you use both file systems, the RAID
driver's probably going to get really confused along with Windows. What I'd
recommend is either going back to "square 1" as you say and formatting it
back to NTFS, or convert BOTH drives to FAT32. This should solve the
problem. I'd also recommend doing a repair reinstall of windows. If you
don't know how to do this, either check out www.microsoft.com or something
or just reply to this message.

Hope that helped
--
MiniDisc_2k2
To reply via e-mail, replace nospam.com with cox dot net.