Old October 17th 03, 07:45 PM
S.Boardman

"Ben Pope" wrote in message
S.Boardman wrote:
I want to upgrade my cpu to an XP2800+. I've double checked and found
that I can't use my current board MSI KT3 Ultra.

I'd be surprised, check he

I wasn't thinking about overclocking... I looked at
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/suppor...detail.php?UID
=11

I want a new motherboard then, still an MSI. I figure although most of

my
other components aren't bang up to date, I may as well get the most
advanced I can. (I have 4x AGP card, PC2700 RAM at the moment.)

Go nForce. MSI do a couple.

That's what I was hoping to use, it's backwards compatible, right?

I have a few questions about RAID. The new MSI K7N2 boards have Serial

ATA
RAID. My current motherboard has two IDE hard drive connectors (with my
DVD in one) and two IDE RAID connectors, both filled each with one hard
drive. Is it just a question of changing cables? Or do I have to change
hard drives, which I don't want to do. If this is the case, do I need to
ditch the new K7N2 idea and get a board with ATA RAID? If MSI don't do
one, any other suggestions?

You'll need some PATA - SATA adapters

Didn't know about these? Can you expand?

Needs to have five or six PCI slots, preferably 8x AGP, don't need on
board audio/lan/vga. Socket A obviously.

Hmm. Onboard != bad, and if you're tight on PCI slots...

I *don't* need the onboard stuff. I have six slots at the moment, one vacant
next to the vga card, two others with extra USB slots, D-bracket, etc.
--
Susan