Old October 17th 03, 03:08 PM
S.Boardman

Default help with motherboard choice

I want to upgrade my cpu to an XP2800+. I've double checked and found that I
can't use my current board MSI KT3 Ultra.

I want a new motherboard then, still an MSI. I figure although most of my
other components aren't bang up to date, I may as well get the most advanced
I can. (I have 4x AGP card, PC2700 RAM at the moment.)

I have a few questions about RAID. The new MSI K7N2 boards have Serial ATA
RAID. My current motherboard has two IDE hard drive connectors (with my DVD
in one) and two IDE RAID connectors, both filled each with one hard drive.
Is it just a question of changing cables? Or do I have to change hard
drives, which I don't want to do. If this is the case, do I need to ditch
the new K7N2 idea and get a board with ATA RAID? If MSI don't do one, any
other suggestions?
Needs to have five or six PCI slots, preferably 8x AGP, don't need on board
audio/lan/vga. Socket A obviously.
Thanks for your help. Please don't make it too technical, I'm not an expert!
--
Susan