Old May 19th 10, 09:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

Default I WANT A FRIGGIN GTX295!!!

Am 18.05.2010 21:57, * Rob:

I'm an engineer, not a game player, damnit!

So why are you looking at gaming cards then?

My current machine has a
humble yet lovable FX5900 agp4x in it and I'm ready to build a new
workstation based on the WestmereEP 6 core CPUs.

So you do it for a hobby then? I'm also an engineer and I need to use
workstations for a living, and therefore can't afford to use selfmade
systems because most ISVs don't provide any support if you don't run
their software on a certified machine, so I buy HP or Dell workstations.
And especially the HP machines never cost me more what I would have paid
for a similar self-build system but come with 3 years onsite warranty.

The specs I've read about the consumer oriented nvidia cards (wikipedia)
show that the vertex and texture generation speeds of the gtx295 are as
good as (or better than) the new (EXPENSIVE!) 480 cards. Thing is, not a
single vendor in the US seems to have the 295 anymore. WTF?!

Well, Nvidia probably decided that by removing these cards from the
market the GTX 470/480 series becomes more attractive.

Someone suggested that the ATI 5870 might be a good alternative but I
almost exclusively do openGL stuff in Linux and I have heard BAD THINGS
about linux support for the ATI cards.

I have heard the US president is an alien. That doesn't make it true.

what I want:

1) lots of vertex/pixel computation firepower
2) decent texture performance
3) efficient support for shared memory x11/xover infrastructure in the
driver
4) hardware support for a VESA level framebuffer driver (for
compatibility with older CAD/CAM applications)

Things I couldn't care less about:
1) SLI (not enough room in my machine requires too much power)
2) fancy antialiasing, shaders, or photo-realism enhancements

Thoughts?

That's what the Nvidia Quadro and AMD FireGL/FirePro series cards are
for. These are cards which are made and certified for many professional
3D applications. The best thing when choosing a card is to follow the
ISV certification lists.

Benjamin