Old September 17th 04, 11:20 AM
Michael Url

CJT wrote:
Michael Url wrote:

CJT wrote:

Michael Url wrote:

Hello!

I've a big problem with my HDDs and a IDE Raid Controller (Silicon
Image SiI 0680). On the RAID Controller I've installed a HDD and a
DVD-ROM

Yesterday the controller killed the first HDD (i guess) and I
because I want to be sure which part of my system is broken I
installed another HDD, and this one doesn't work any more neither?!?
The DVD-Rom works perfectly!

The BIOS doesn't recognise the HDDs and the HDD-LED is always on?!?

Are my HDDs lost?
Please can anybody help me?

Thanks
Miles

I don't understand how a controller card could kill HDDs, unless it
has some unusual electrical fault. Are you sure they're properly
cooled?

Yes, the system is cooled properly (3 fans,...) And it was working
about 1 year without a problem!
The 2nd IDE Controller (where the DVD is connected) is working fine?!?
I don't want to try the 1st Connector, because I've already lost 2
drives! Maybe it has an electrical fault? But how can i test it?

A multimeter could tell you if there is excess voltage on any pin.

However, it might make more sense just to replace it.

The problem isn't the controller (I don't need it any more)
The question is: "How can I save my HDDs?"