Old September 17th 04, 12:04 AM
kony

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 21:33:19 GMT, Michael Url
wrote:

Hello!

I've a big problem with my HDDs and a IDE Raid Controller (Silicon Image
SiI 0680). On the RAID Controller I've installed a HDD and a DVD-ROM

Yesterday the controller killed the first HDD (i guess) and I because I
want to be sure which part of my system is broken I installed another
HDD, and this one doesn't work any more neither?!?
The DVD-Rom works perfectly!

The BIOS doesn't recognise the HDDs and the HDD-LED is always on?!?

Are my HDDs lost?
Please can anybody help me?

First, does the SI Manager Application (or whatever it's
called) (if you're running Windows), reveal anything?

Have you ran the HDD manufacturer's diagnostics?
When you installed another drive, it not working either,
does it mean you also tried these drives on another
controller?

Are you placing the DVD and HDD on opposing channels? If
so, try the HDD on the other channel, with DVD removed,
and/or try the DVD on other channel.

Or, just toss the card, they're only worth about $15. FWIW,
i have a couple SI 0680 cards and never had a problem,
though they do seem slightly slower than competitors
offerings.