Old May 21st 07, 08:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

Default 8800 users

'Robert McKay wrote:
| Hey- im trying to build a system that would accommodate the 8800 series.
Im
| curious as to the specs on other people's systems they use with the 8800.
| CPU, motherboard, memory, etc. Any info appreciated..
_____

I just built a system using an E4300, an EVGA 680i motherboard, and an EVGA
8800 GTS 320 MByte graphics adapter.
The memory is Patriot DDR2-1066 SLI ready (extended SPD table for high speed
operation. The hard drives are two 500 GByte Seagate Barracuda 16 MByte
buffer 7200 RPM units. The power supply is an Antec 550 Neo HE modular
cable supply with 3 X 19 Amperes 12 volt rails, enough for two 8800 GTS, but
not two 8800 GTX.

The E4300 overclocks quite merrily at 2.7 GHz with the CPU core voltage set
below stock and with the standard Intel boxed retail heatsink/fan. The
memory bus and the FrontSide bus are both run at 1200 MHz for a 1:2 CPU
Clock : Memory Clock ratio.

The EVGA 8800 GTs 320 overclocks quite easily at 650 MHz core, 850 MHz
memory with stock cooling. The memory won't do 875 MHz, the core may
overclock higher, I just haven't tried. The voltage and cooling are
standard.

The free version of 3DMark06 reports ~ 10600.

The EVGA 680i supports quad core and 1333 MHz FSB. It can overclock using
very high FSB speeds and offers a great many BIOS settings not available
with other chipsets. Slotwise it has three physical PCI-E slots (two are
electrically X16, the middle one is 8X), two PCI-E X1 slots, two PCI slots.
You lose one PCI-E slot when one 8800 series card is installed. Installing
a second 8800 series card blocks a PCI slot.

I would recommend all of the above components, except at this point, with
the drop in Intel Core 2 Duo prices, the E6320 is perhaps preferable to the
E4300 at the low end. Considering the overclocking potential of the E4300
and E6320, it does not seem worth it to chose anything else unless your
budget will handle a Core 2 Extreme. If you plan to go for two 8800 series
graphics adapters then consider a good power supply in the 650 Watt and up
range, preferably with three or more 12 volt rails.

Phil Weldon