Old April 21st 07, 04:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil

Default 8800 users

"Venger" wrote in message
. net...

"Robert McKay" wrote in message
Hey- im trying to build a system that would accommodate the 8800 series.
Im curious as to the specs on other people's systems they use with the
8800. CPU, motherboard, memory, etc. Any info appreciated..

Get a Core Duo. Forget AMD for the near future.

Motherboard is important. I cannot recommend enough the Asus P5N32-E SLI.
Solid overclocker, great board. I've got one overclocking a 1.8 Core Duo
to 3.4 on stock retail heatsink and fan. I cannot describe how fast that
is. That chip is, I believe, the best overclocking chip in history based
on % gain.

Get fast RAM, at least 667. I recommend Crucial, especially the top end
stuff if you can afford it. And if you get the LED ones, they look cool in
the case...

GET A GOOD POWER SUPPLY.

Maybe you didn't hear that.

GET A GOOD POWER SUPPLY.

This is CRITICAL. No off brand BS, get at least 500W. Get a brand that
doesn't suck. Antec, Thermaltake, etc. A cheap power supply will dick the
whole thing up. I've had great luck with the Antec line.

Venger

Just to add to the PSU recommendation, The 8800 GTS requires a PSU that can
deliver a combined 26 amps on the 12v rails. 28 amps if you go with a GTX.
The wattage is not the only factor you need to consider when buying a PSU
with latest gen videocards. They are very power hungry.

-phil