Old July 30th 04, 08:37 PM
Mac Cool

Default UPDATE: SCSI vs IDE CD burner issue

I posted a month or two ago that I was dissatisfied with my 32X IDE cd
burner. After having a couple of Yamaha SCSI burners that I was extremely
satisfied with, the IDE burner would not burn at 32X and made lots of
coasters. I received some mixed experiences from folks concerning IDE and
SCSI burners.

Update... OfficeMax had the MadDog 8X DVD burner (actually a rebadged NEC
2500A) for $40, after a $40 instant rebate and $40 mail in rebate. I took
them up on the offer and I am a much happier camper. The NEC burns 32X no
problem and no coasters yet. I was in for one surprise... the NEC won't
recognize just any 8X DVDR media out of the box, it comes with a list of
supported media and a flash upgrade is necessary to use brands not on the
list. Naturally I bought an unsupported brand and can only burn at 4X
until I get around to flashing the drive.

The deal is still available but only in stores. I was lucky enough that my
local store had a shelf full, but they were going fast even while I was
there picking out media.
http://www.maxmyrebates.com/promocen...o_detail.html?
productId=1003773&bundleId=4029

--