Old September 1st 03, 05:29 AM
drumguy1384

"127.0.0.1" wrote in message
link.net...

"drumguy1384" wrote in message

"TC" wrote in message
"127.0.0.1" wrote in
ink.net:

thats a poor design.
i would purchase a quality HS + Fan and remove that case fan. if

there
are other case fans to move the air, it should be sufficient. or put

smaller fan to replace that obstrusive case fan. there are other
options on circulating the case. but the most important part of your
problem is getting a proper HS + fan installed.

It really makes you wonder if this guy thinks that Dell is "cutting

costs"
by engineering new cooling solutions for each new system they come out

with.

A duct cooling system involves a custom heatsink, and a custom duct

housing
which has to be changed for every new system model. I would think that

just
plonking a decent CPU "HS/fan" type cooler on there would be much

easier,
and cheaper. Why then re-invent the wheel with each new model?

Obviously ... because it WORKS BETTER!

Get a clue 127!

And TC, thank you for saying what I had been itching to since the first
ignorant post I saw from this guy.

Drumguy

stay on topic please.
Original Poster (OP) needs help with his overheating problem, not a debate
on how well dell designs their mass produced products. Drumguy still has

yet
to post a solution.
i gave my suggestion on adding a new Heat Sink (HS) + fan. what has

Drumguy
suggest? leave it alone because it shouldn't be overheating? that's not a
solution.

i'm not the type to lecture someone who needs help. if i can fix it, then

will. will i teach that person the physics involved in locating the cause

of
the problem? not for free.

i may be ignorant, but at least i'm polite.
my last post on this thread...

Hey man, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that a new cooling solution
isn't what he needs ... but you said that the duct system is inferior in
design to a conventional HS/Fan solution. I was merely disagreeing with you.

I was not attempting to solve the OTP's problem ... only to take issue with
your insinuations about the effectiveness of a duct cooler. But, since you
insinuate that because I didn't tell him what I would do that I don't have a
solution I'll get to it shortly.

Shall I quote you?

"thats a poor design."

"having no fan on a cpu HS is not a good design. i'd rather see the dell
executives cut their bonuses to save on cost than skimping out on proper cpu
cooling."

That's pretty inflammatory language there ... and hardly polite. I was
simply pointing out that you are wrong to say that a duct cooling system is
worse than a traditional HS/Fan solution.

Sure, there are many aftermarket coolers that will do a better job of
cooling his CPU ... but unless you find one with a 120mm fan (as his duct
fan is) anything he get's will be louder. Of course I agree that a bit
louder and stable is better than quiet and unstable.

But his heat problem may be easily curable by blowing any dust out of the
heatsink fins and/or re-applying it using some high quality thermal paste,
such as Arctic Silver III. It may also be that the fan in his duct system is
crapping out ... which can and does happen, especially if it's left on all
the time. In which case, if it can't be replaced independently of the duct,
it'd be best to remove the duct system and use a conventional cooler and
another quiet 120mm case fan in the back without the housing. However, if
the fan is the culprit and it's not permanently affixed to the duct then the
best course of action would be to replace it with another 120mm fan and
leave the duct in place.

The truth is that this cooling solution works just fine in every system it's
used in ... and it wouldn't continue to be used it if didn't work. Either
it's crammed up with dust or the fan is crapping out. Simple as that.

Your first course of action was to can the whole cooling system and replace
it with a louder conventional system ... because it was, in your opinion, "a
poor design." I just submit that may not be necessary, and that he may do
better to try and salvage what he's got. He would end up with an adequate
cooling system that is as quiet as it's ever been, and keeps his CPU quite
cool enough.

Good enough for ya?

Drumguy