Old September 1st 03, 01:55 AM
Lester Horwinkle

Well, I now own 5 Dells at home with that "bad design".

Where I work, there are about 2500 more of them.

This "bad design" has not caused problems.

"127.0.0.1" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Timothy Drouillard" wrote in message
It's not nessarily a 'bad' design, just a different one.

Dell does it that way on purpose. That way, by using a large finned
heat-sink on the CPU along with a duct to dirrect the airfow to/from the

fan
on the rear of the case, they have enough room on the back of the case

use a larger fan.

A larger fan can spin at a slower RPM yet give as much airflow as a

faster
small fan directly on the heat-sink.

A slower fan translates into less fan noise, making the system in

theory,
quiter, which in importatnt to many customers.

a choice of quieter with overheating vs. a bit noisier with efficient
cooling....
they are still years behind macintosh designs (cube). i forget what the
original processor is. but having no fan on a cpu HS is not a good design.
i'd rather see the dell executives cut their bonuses to save on cost than
skimping out on proper cpu cooling.