Old February 14th 08, 06:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Default TNT2 Ultra 1.5V

On Jan 31, 3:49�am, Benjamin Gawert wrote:
* :

This is an old hardware question, so bear with me. Are there ANY TNT2
Ultra cards that are 1.5V?

Yes, there are.

Notches in the card are not reliable: a lot of TNT2 Ultra cards (maybe
most?) are improperly keyed, for both 3.3V and 1.5V slots, when in
fact they are only 3.3V.

Right.

And the designation AGP 4X is not reliable either. Even though the AGP
4X specs call for 1.5V, in fact, again, there are many TNT2 Ultra
cards that claim to be AGP 4X and implement at least part of the AGP
4X specs, but they are still 3.3V cards.

So I just want to know which TNT2 Ultra cards, if any, are actually
1.5V.

Hard to say as this is dependent on the GPU revision which often changed
within a given product series so you can't just say "card xxx is safe".
IIRC there is no reliable way to tell if the card really is 1.5v capable
other than to test it in an AGP 4x/8x mobo with protection circuitry.

But honestly, with GF2MX cards which are way faster and newer and fully
AGP 4x compatible available for almost nothing on the used market I
wonder why anyone would take up the effort to fiddle around with the old
TNT2 series.

Benjamin

True, and I'm sure the reason will seem even more bizarre but there it
is:

As far as I know, the TNT2 Ultra is the "fastest" card that still has
drivers for Windows 3.1x. Then i865 is the "newest" chipset that still
supports AGP, but it has to be 1.5V, also as far as I know.

So there you have it. If you want a reasonably fast machine that will
run every version of Windows from 3.1x to XP, a 1.5V TNT2 Ultra is the
way to go. Second choice, and not a bad one, is Matrox G400 MAX, but
it has to be an MMDH4A32G, only those with a "4" in the model number
are 1.5V cards.

Thanks for the tips.