Old May 22nd 06, 06:22 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x

Default My monitor went black in Linux/Debian (X) and text mode earliertoday...

On Sun, 21 May 2006, wrote:

In comp.os.linux.hardware Whoever wrote:

On Sun, 21 May 2006,
wrote:

About over an hour ago, I was watching a long video (FLV file; not fullscreen) for about 30 minutes in GMPlayer on
my Linux/Debian box (Linux foobar 2.6.14-2-k7 #1 Wed Dec 28 19:14:46 UTC 2005 i686 GNU/Linux) while my
gaming/Windows box was doing SpinRite stuff (so far no errors, but I will resume overnight since it has 8 hours to

I suggest you read this:
http://www.grcsucks.com/spinrite.htm

and then think about how productive those hours spent doing "Spinrite
stuff" are.

Interesting. Then, what do you suggest using? I already tried chkdsk.exe, Norton Disk Doctor, and SeaTools
Desktop so far. Nothing unusual. I had to stop SpinRite since it said it would be about 8 hours, on my 95 GB
partition/drive so I decided to save it for tonight.

Maybe I'm being dense tonight, but I don't see the connection between your
monitor going black on your Linux machine and running SPinRite on your
Windows machine?

But anyway, modern disks have the capability to self diagnose and
fix problems. If you look at the S.M.A.R.T. data, you will see quite a lot
of information about the disk's performance. If you start seeing a lot of
CRC errors, or if you start seeing increasing numbers of re-mapped
sectors, then you need to buy a new disk. Really, today there is little
need today for surface analysis tools since the disks do it automatically.

I guess the question is: what problem are you trying to fix?

As for your Linux machine -- well, I assume you are using the
closed-source nVidia driver? Perhaps it caused the video problem?