Old January 4th 10, 12:23 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

Default Latitude D610, DVD/CD ROM

In ,
RnR typed on Sun, 03 Jan 2010 14:25:53 -0600:
On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 14:00:25 -0600, "BillW50" wrote:

In ,
Charles typed on Sun, 03 Jan 2010 13:07:27 -0600:
After some extensive traveling the past week with my laptop I
realized last night that the light is on constantly on the CD/DVD
drive and the drive will not open. Rebooted several times and
removed and replaced the drive also and no change. It also does
not show in Device Manager. Have I lost it or is there anything
else I can try?

Hi Charles! That sure sounds like the optical drive is shot. A lot of
laptops it is very easy to replace the optical drive. And many of
them will take virtually any slimline optical drive.

I am working on my niece's D610 and her optical drive is a Philips.
And it is currently having problems with any DVD with copy
protection. I updated the firmware, but no help. I may end up
replacing the drive and I welcome any hints how to on a D610.

I also have a few external USB optical drives. So this is another
option for you. They are handy to use as a second optical drive for
laptops and the main optical drive for netbooks.

Bill, I couldn't have but laugh "but not at you". Why do I get the
feeling that many of us regulars on this newsgroup service our
families/extended families' pc and laptops g ? I know I do
sometimes and it's not necessarily on a voluntary basis even tho it's
still a free service .

Yes so true. Plus I read your later post and I read it actually as you
meant it. Funny how that happens, eh?

Bill, not sure you have this already but maybe this will help...
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...0/en/index.htm

Yes that helps a lot. Gee that is so easy to remove the optical drive.
Many thanks! grin

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 2 of 3 - Windows XP SP3