Old January 3rd 10, 08:00 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

Default Latitude D610, DVD/CD ROM

In ,
Charles typed on Sun, 03 Jan 2010 13:07:27 -0600:
After some extensive traveling the past week with my laptop I realized
last night that the light is on constantly on the CD/DVD drive and the
drive will not open. Rebooted several times and removed and replaced
the drive also and no change. It also does not show in Device
Manager. Have I lost it or is there anything else I can try?

Hi Charles! That sure sounds like the optical drive is shot. A lot of
laptops it is very easy to replace the optical drive. And many of them
will take virtually any slimline optical drive.

I am working on my niece's D610 and her optical drive is a Philips. And
it is currently having problems with any DVD with copy protection. I
updated the firmware, but no help. I may end up replacing the drive and
I welcome any hints how to on a D610.

I also have a few external USB optical drives. So this is another option
for you. They are handy to use as a second optical drive for laptops and
the main optical drive for netbooks.

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2