Old May 30th 04, 07:31 PM
Adrian Foster

Thanks.

I was forever put off Abit motherboards due to PCI cards sharing, it created
continual errors and left me wondering why 6 pci slots were fitted when only
3 of them really "worked"

cheers,

Adrian.

"Bob" wrote in message
Adrian Foster wrote:
"Bob"

Thanks.

Did modding the bios make a difference ?

I've recently found (after moving stuff around on other machines and
buying a couple of new larger drives) that I have 2 spare 80Gb
maxtors so was contemplating setting up a raid array and using the
machine as a file server. I (I expect like you) find the 6BX7+ the
most reliable board I have ever owned.

Regards,

P.S. I've recently found Raid 0 (striping arrays) are so fast.

Adrian,

The only difference I saw was the Promise banner at boot-up now showed

V2.0,
the latest (last) version of the ATA66 BIOS. From digging around on the

net
and newsgroups, the older version in the Gigabyte BIOS had some hard drive
size limitations (32 G?) that were fixed in V2.0. I run the Promise ATA66
PCI cards in a couple of computers, so I wanted my 6BX7+ to match the

other
computers/cards, in case I ever did a switch of motherboards. Right now I
have a 20 Gbyte hard drive on my 6BX7+, and it's been fine as a firewall.

I was happy to have the dual BIOS feature of the 6BX7+ while I tried the
modifications; if something didn't work out, I could switch back to the

old
version.

My 6BX7+ has been very stable over the years; the only problem I had with

it
I caused myself. Turns out PCI slot 3 shares an interrupt with the

onboard
Promise controller. I had a network card plugged into slot 3, and my
firewall box (Win2K Server) would stop responding. Once I moved the NIC
card to a different slot, it's been fine.

Regards,
Bob.