Old May 19th 16, 06:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Dan[_15_]

Default rtn66u - help

On Thu, 19 May 2016 03:16:22 -0400, Paul wrote:

Dan wrote:

Cheers Paul,

the zip file contains only the firmware
RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_380_3264-g79f6bde.trx and no readme. By your
description I cannot use the update for my UK rtn66u. So what can I do
then?

http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN66...Desk_Download/

Try setting the OS to "Others". In the picture
here, I'm seeing a few more firmwares.

http://s32.postimg.org/v1u5w9cqt/others.gif

I got the hint from this FAQ page (noticed while
I was wandering around in there). Since there are
so many FAQs, it takes persistence to find anything
really interesting.

http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1010600/

There is even source code (implying the software
base is FOSS and the GPL says the source must
be released if it is used).

But I still don't know how the country-specifics
are handled. The release notes don't seem to mention
it.

Paul

Hello Paul,, I took a look at 'others' at
http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1010600/

Driver & Tools

There are 3 download servers available on ASUS Download Site - Global,
China and P2P. Each server provides exact the same content no matter
where you download from, except for the speed which you are connected
to.

It shows Firmware (14)
Version 3.0.0.4.380.3264

ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.3264
ASUS has been dedicated to cooperate with third party developers to
come up with more innovative features.
To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified firmware
verification rule to ensure better firmware quality.
This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS
firmware and uncertified third party firmware.

It does not mention country specific but
"Driver & Tools

There are 3 download servers available on ASUS Download Site - Global,
China and P2P. Each server provides exact the same content no matter
where you download from, except for the speed which you are connected
to." Does this mean that this firmware can be used for any part of
the world?