Old October 10th 05, 03:19 PM
Joep

Hi,

I asked for the logfile to be posted in our forum. Anyway, at first glance
the partition table and boot sector look fine. Make sure this is not a
Windows problem that may result in behavior as you describe it: Windows may
have trouble accessing the entire disk and can not reach the backup boot
sector. SP4 is allright, you may need to edit the registry as well:

To enable EnableBigLba in the Windows registry, perform the following steps:

a.. Start a registry editor (e.g., regedit.exe). In Windows, click on
Start-Run, enter "regedit".
a.. Navigate to the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\atapi\Parameters
registry subkey.
a.. From the Edit menu, select New, DWORD Value.
a.. Enter the name EnableBigLba, then press Enter.
a.. Double-click the new value, set it to 1, then click OK.
a.. Close the registry editor.
a.. Restart the machine for the change to take effect.

Once this is taken care of and if this was the issue, Windows can now access
the backup boot sector and the non formatted message disappears.

If this did not resolve the issue you may need a Linux boot CD to recover
data by copying it somewher else. If that does not work you need a file
recovery tool.

--
Joep

"Greg" wrote in message
oups.com...
I installed a new 200GB hard drive as a slave drive using western
digital data lifeguard tools.

After uninstalling some software, Windows 2000 (SP4) now reports the
drive as unformatted.

I have used various utilities to confirm the drive is ok, and the data
is still there (it is)

If I use western digital data lifeguard tools to set up the drive
again, I will lose my data as threre is no option other than partition
and format the drive - losing all data.

my master (boot) drive is a Quantum HDD

I assume that data lifeguard installs some kind of dynamic drive
overlay software on the boot disk. If so, how could I check for this?
Also, is dynamic drive overlay software installed on the boot sector of
the master (boot) drive, or the slave (non-bootable) drive?

Note: I can't use data recovery software to recover the data because I
do not have anywhere to put it

Further note: yes, I have searched and searched for an answer, but
could not find one. If there is a thread that I should read, please
notify me and I will read it.

Thanks