Old November 7th 04, 01:50 AM
LeeBos

Subject: Can I run IDE Drives and SATA Drives Together?
From: Rob
Date: 11/6/2004 1:17 PM Eastern Standard Time

WoofWoof wrote:

LeeBos wrote:

From: WoofWoof

Date: 11/5/2004 11:45 AM Eastern Standard Time

Mark Timerding wrote:

While I am using a K8V in lieu of the P4S8X and dont know
about that board, but I do know that SATA and IDE drives
will run together.....(tho I dont know a whole lot about RAID
setups), My current config is:
Drive C: Partition one of WDC Raptor 74 gig Sata (on SATA 1)
Drive D: Segate 80 gig Sata (on SATA 2)
Drive E: Seagate 60 gig IDE (IDE 1

Master)

Drive F: Seagate 120gig IDE (IDE 1

Slave)
Drive G: Partition two of the WDC Raptor (on Sata 1)
Drive H: Pioneer 108 DVDRW (IDE 2 Master)
Drive I: Pioneer 106 DVDRW (IDE 2

Slave)

Initially, I was using the IDE's to boot off of, and only had
(and used) the one 80 gig sata for storage but recently
had purchased the Raptor, and hence made the Sata my
Boot (C) drive.

Interesting.

What OS are you using, and when you changed boot drives did you have
to re-install the OS or is there a way to transfer the existing
installation?

Mine is XP Pro. It can be done using Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image or a
similar program. Make a backup image, put in the new drive, take out the

old
drive temporarily, put in the new drive and config the bios to boot from it
then restore the Ghost image to it.
You may be asked to reactivate windows, I was when I went from IDE to SATA

RAID
0.

See, this is where I start to lose it. This would be standard
procedure if swapping an ide for another ide drive. But Windows AFAIK
needs a driver to be loaded to run SATA drives which you would
normally install (on a fresh OS install) by pressing F6 during the
install. If the OS is simply copied over from the ide, the driver
isn't available and Windows, I should think, would barf.

Or am I all wet? Is it only pre-XP windows that need the driver
install?

Install/Copy the SATA driver files into a directory on the IDE drive and
hook the blank SATA Drive to the system. Windows should give the "Found
New Hardware" wizard. Point it to the location where you've put the
SATA drivers and it will install them. That way the driver is installed
to the OS while still on the IDE. To make it your primary drive, Ghost
everything to the SATA, remove the IDE and upon boot, the OS will grab
the driver and off you go. If you want to use the SATA as a secondary
drive then just partition and format it using utilities included in
Windows. HTH.
Rob

Rob is correct, sorry I forgot to mention that you had to load the drivers
first.