Old November 5th 04, 02:42 PM
Mark Timerding

On 4-Nov-2004, wrote:

but makes no mention of running the
UltraDMA133 IDE simultaneously with SATA.

While I am using a K8V in lieu of the P4S8X and dont know
about that board, but I do know that SATA and IDE drives
will run together.....(tho I dont know a whole lot about RAID
setups), My current config is:
Drive C: Partition one of WDC Raptor 74 gig Sata (on SATA 1)
Drive D: Segate 80 gig Sata (on SATA 2)
Drive E: Seagate 60 gig IDE (IDE 1 Master)
Drive F: Seagate 120gig IDE (IDE 1 Slave)
Drive G: Partition two of the WDC Raptor (on Sata 1)
Drive H: Pioneer 108 DVDRW (IDE 2 Master)
Drive I: Pioneer 106 DVDRW (IDE 2 Slave)

Initially, I was using the IDE's to boot off of, and only had
(and used) the one 80 gig sata for storage but recently
had purchased the Raptor, and hence made the Sata my
Boot (C) drive. I am NOT running any sort of RAID config,
and am using the two SATA's as independent drives. (using
the VIA Sata drivers, never figured out how to accomplish
this set up with the Promise Controller)

Now all I have to decide for my next project is I am going
to get a bigger Harddrive in the future .... either a 250gig
or a 400gig .....but, I still need to decide if I should make it
a Sata (and replace the 80 gig sata) or an IDE (and replace
the 60gig IDE) While I know this motherboard will support
a fifth harddrive, and I am sure my powersupply (Antec 550w)
will power it, there simply isn't any more room inside the case
for a FIFTH harddrive. (Funny tho, the case does have two
places for two additional Optical Drives, but I sure dont ever anticipate
needing 2 MORE CD/DVDRW drives)