Old April 2nd 04, 03:40 PM
Peter Strömberg

"Jason Cothran" wrote in
:

"Paul Bassman" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

Have been playing about with PC's for 25 years just as a hobby, and
am completely addicted. I want to buy the Athlon 64 FX53, am ready to
order. One thing is stopping me and I hope you can help. I haven't a
clue what registered ram is? It say's in most reviews of the Evesham
PC the firm of choice, that the registered ram is slow, so, please
can you tell me, does this defeat the object of playing games for
example. I would have my Choice of a very fast CPU fast hard drive
etc, but the ram would bring speed down to say a XP 2000, do you
think Rambus ram could be used with this motherboard, just what the
eck is registered ram and why is it slow? Thanks!!
Paul.

Ever heard of ECC ram?

ECC != registered

You can get memory in four flavors:
* unbuffered
* unbuffered ECC
* registered
* registered ECC

Registered modules have additional components (registers) placed between
the incoming address and control information and the SDRAM components.
These modules are typically used in Servers due to their added
reliability (they place much less of an electrical load on the memory
controller and therefore make it possible to have as many as 16 or 32
modules in a large system).

--
Peter Strömberg
C2K2 C2K3 ISCCIV02 ISCCIV03