Old May 25th 09, 05:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GMAN[_10_]

Default Lost 1500 gigs - Thanks Seagate!

In article , wrote:
On May 17, 11:03=A0pm, (GMAN) wrote:
In article =

..com, wrote:

My 1.5 TB harddrive just blew after about 4 months... a few days after
filling it too.... Thanks Seagate! [Seagate Barracuda (ST31500341AS)
7200.11 SATA 3.0Gb/s 1.5TB] ... It's my own damn fault for going for
the best gig/$ deal I guess... and backing up that much stuff was not
an option financially... =A0I always expected it to fail but I had hoped
it would last a year or two at least, by then I could update to raid 1
or buy a 3tb drive or something...

Anyways.... this piece of crap is still under warranty, and they will
send me another piece of crap to replace it... but I really don't want
to go through this again, I will never trust this brand now that I've
been assraped... I'm thinking the only way I can use the new piece of
crap their going to send me is if it is in a RAID configuration of
some sort.... RAID 5 looks nice but I'm sooooo not ready to fork out
another $300ish for two more 1.5 TB drives

What are my options - with redundancy and scalability in mind? =A0Can I
just start out with some kind of 2 disk mirroring configuration and
then later add the third disk (converting to raid 5 here) and the
fourth and fifth in the furture? I guess I'm asking if you can convert
go from a two disk x 1.5 TB raid 1 setup to a three disk x 1.5 TB raid
5 setup without reformatting...

....my brain hurts, thanks Seagate

Suggestions welcomed

OMFG!!!!! =A0 It has only been 6+ months that Seagate has had a firmware =

update
to prevent this from happening and you are blaming them for not notifying=

you?

I have two of those same drives and applied the fix day one!

I also have =A0750 GB unit.

BTW, the data is still there and they offer a free recovery for you if yo=

contact Seagate!!!!!!!!!! That is of course if you didnt freak out like a=

baby
and immediately reformat the drive.- Hide quoted text -

Your data wasnt worth an extra $119 ????? WTF?

It begs the question... What if the original poster panicked and lost
his data, called Seagate, and then came here to whine about it. Maybe
that is why it was his first post under the alias.

GMAN: In the future you might want to read a bit more before you stick
your foot in your mouth so deeply.

If you had actually read the links you provided you would see that the
firmware issues affected "A SMALL NUMBER" of these drives. Mine was
not one of them - it was shipped with the latest firmware. Don't
assume. And no: the data was not valuable enough to justify paying
twice as much, the hope was that the drive would last more then 6
months. If you had read this thread fully you would have seen that
too.

This drive has a lot more problems then just firmware. After your foot
removal I suggest you educate yourself more, maybe check out the
specific reviews for this specific 1.5 TB Seagate model (not the
750gig model you have) on Newegg.com

Goodluck.

FU!!! If you talk this way towards everyone who tries to help, you deserved to
lose your data!!!!!

BTW, I have both a 750GB, and a pair of the same 1.5TB retail Seagate drives
you own.