Old September 26th 03, 01:22 AM
FitPhillyGuy

Sorry it's taken me so long to read the replies to my own posting. I
was experiencing unrelated technical difficulties.

The idea that this is an overlay-related problem sounds plausible to
me (which is a really stupid thing for me to say, considering how
pathetic my tech knowledge is). There definitely WAS overlay software
being used in my old system; when I transferred the drives, I
reformatted the master drive (the 20GB C drive with Win XP on it) and
did not reinstall the overlay software because I thought that the
whole idea of the overlay was to compensate for limitations in the
BIOS (rather than in Windows XP itself), which shouldn't be an issue
if you have a fairly new computer with an up to date BIOS. I really
don't fully understand how this overlay stuff works so an explanation
would help.

Charles, You suggest running the overlay software again, is there any
danger that this will aggravate my problems? Is this risky?

FYI, I am running XP with ALL the critical (and not-so-critical)
updates, so my OS is truly up-to-date. And the BIOS is not perfectly
current but it's pretty darned current (it's a very new model of
motherboard, BIOS dates from spring 2003). I am running the current
nForce 2 drivers.

Also, as recommended by someone else, I did indeed try hooking up the
big drive as a master drive on the secondary IDE channel, with no
luck. (Good suggestion, though.)

Thanks for the suggestions, any further advice will be duly
appreciated.

Joel

Charles Hammond wrote in message ...
Update WinXP to the first update and that might help with the larger
drive. Hopefully you do not have a drive overlay on the old drive. Make
sure you have also updated the motherboard with the Nforce2 Chipset
Drivers. Check the BIOS to see if LBA is turned on. Large Block
Addressing. Try running the drive overlay program again for it to copy
the data over to the other drive.

You should go to the Hitachi Site and get the drive utility to write Zeros
to the entire drive. This will allow you to get rid of the overlay
program.