Old September 24th 03, 07:56 PM
CLF

If you think of silent as being noiseless, then you're crazy. If you get a
noiseless PC, then you're going to just hear the other things more, like,
cars going by, or planes, or these little weird noises that annoy you until
you have to go find out what it is only to find out it is nothing but you
wouldn't have heard it if you had had a normally noise-making PC.

Let's put it this way, I didn't know monitors have a noise because my PC has
a black delta 7000RPM fan in there, plus 2 case fans, a PSU fan, lil'
chipset fan, lil' graphics card fan, a hard drive, and a 52x cd-rw drive
that I'm told makes quite a bit of noise since it spins at 12kRPM.

You know I just put on some music, and the PC goes away.

For what normal people would consider silent, I think that the PSU's without
fans would be silent. You can get some slow-spinning fans or some fans with
a quiet bearing in them. The HDD will always be noisy, but if you are so
inclined, you can just put in the quietest model available, then off-load
all of your HDD capacity to some external devices, be they connected with
ieee1394, USB2.0, or for the speed demon, 1GBit ethernet, ie, a rack-mounted
storage unit (pricey, but can easily hold 0.5TB out of the box).