Old August 2nd 03, 09:00 PM
Mitchua

"Bob Knowlden" wrote in message
The FX5200 is a low-end DX9 card, but it may lack enough raw power to run
DX9 features.

The 4200 is from the previous generation; it's pretty fast (and sometimes
overclockable to near spec 4600 performance levels). It's DX8 only.

You don't mention your CPU/RAM, so I can't guess whether your card is
entirely the limiting factor.

I have an AMD 1800+XP @ 1621MHZ, 512MB DDR, Asus A7V266-E mobo, and the
Radeon 7000 64MB OC'ed to 173MHz. I think it's a pretty good bet the video
card is the limiting factor :-)

If you can talk yourself into wasting more cash, I'd suggest a Radeon
9500pro, if you can still find one, or a 9600. Keep your hard-earned cash
with ATI in Canada. ;-)

The 9000 and 9200 are in my price range. Would they beat the FX5200?

I've always gone with ATI but I don't want to lay down $300 for one of their
Radeon PRO series...yet :-)

Bob Knowlden

Spam dodger may be in use. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

"Mitchua" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
I'm looking to spend about CAN$100 before taxes (15% here) for a new

video
card since my Radeon 7000 64MB sucks donkey kong. Everyone tells me how
great the Gf4 4200ti is and I've been drooling over the benchmarks but

with
the Asus and MSI versions being at least $180, it's a little out of my

price
range. I'm sure I'd see a big preformance increase going to the Asus

FX5200
($112) but the benchmarks are significantly under the 4200ti so I don't

know
if it's worth buying now. To complicate matters more, I found a generic
(comes in white box, made in taiwan, cyberlink CD, VIVO, 1-year

warranty)
GF4 4200ti for $109. Is a "crappy" generic 4200ti better than an Asus
FX5200? Will I really get what I pay for? What should I be considering
here?

Thanks for your help,
Mitchua