Old January 18th 04, 03:43 AM
V W Wall

Bill Anderson wrote:

The KBA also said I might need to edit the registry, but when I went to
the registry location described in the KBA, I didn't find the registry
value I was looking for (EnableBigLba).

You may need to add the value yourself where indicated by the KB article.

Are you sure your BIOS will handle drives 137GB? It not only requires
LBA, which may be 28bit, but needs 48bit LBA to work with larger drives.

Right now I'm copying files onto the drive to see if I can exceed the
137 gigabyte limit. I sure wish I hadn't reformatted the thing last
night. It takes a long time to copy gigabytes of data, and I need to
copy 137 gigabytes just to see if updating the ATAPI driver will enable
the drive to hold more.

I'm betting it won't -- I'm betting that utility needs to report the
physical drive size as 250 gigabytes. But how to make it do that?

* BIOS seems OK for large drives.

Check that it supports 48bit LBA.

* WinXP reports correct size for the drive.
* Running WinXP SP1

I wonder if I should have reformatted the disk, now that I have a new
ATAPI driver? Guess I'll find out soon.

Good luck!

--
A foolish consistency is the