Old January 17th 04, 08:42 PM
Pepperoni

"Bill Anderson" wrote in message
I didn't FDISK this drive, and I didn't use the Western Digital floppy
that came with it to set it up. I set up the drive using WinXP -- under
Disk Management. Then I formatted it using WinXP. Disk management now
reports that the drive is healthy. I've reformatted it since all the
problems started, by the way. There's nothing on it now -- no files at
all. I'm just trying to figure out what to do next.

So the question is -- has anyone else ever seen this sort of behavior?
Can it be a bad hard drive? I can still return it for another -- I
haven't owned it very long. Is there some sort of test I can run on it
to see if part of it but not all of it is damaged? What to do, what to

do?

Bill Anderson

Since the drive is new, empty, and possibly has data remaining, I would run
DLGDIAG1.exe from
http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp
You can return the drive to new condition by writing zeros to the entire
drive. Be aware that it may take 6 hours or more to run. (80gig HD time)
Much better than any format you can otherwise perform. It will run from
floppy, so I would unhook the other drives as a precaution.

The Diagnostics utility allows you to test the drive, print results for last
drive tested, repair errors found during the Test Drive option and write
zeros to the drive.

Pepperoni