Old January 11th 04, 05:40 PM
jim

More than a tad.
LOL.

Those trays can be a problem.

Been fine for me.

That's your problem, DMA isnt being used.

Yeah, I knew that, just could not figure out what part of windows to
tickle to fix it.

Try deleting the IDE controller in the Device Manager and

You Da Man! That fixed it!

Thank You !!

Ok, Long story:

Delete secondary IDE channel.
Restart.
Access HD in question no problem back to fast transfer rate, great!

My system has a weird problem upon bootup where certain
functionality waits until something times out before I can do
these things such as go on the internet. So, for instance,
I boot up. From the time I can see the desktop, I have to wait
four minutes, yes I timed it, before I can:
Play a movie.
If I run the app to connect to my ISP, four minutes from
when I click to when I can see the dialog box appear.
Go to Device manager, click on Properties for IDE Channel,
have to wait these four minutes before I can see the property
page appear.

Some switch clicks inside, and then all these things start working.
Like these are all waiting on somethine. What I dont know. If I
shut down the system before these four minutes are up, I get a
notice about CSC Notifications not shutting down. Other
applications run fine within the four minute window. Access to all
hard drives is fine.

After the four minutes has expired, Windows now says Found New Hardware.
It installs the drivers. Back to slow access.
Go to the IDE Property page, PIO mode. Change to DMA if Available.
Reboot.
Now running Ultra DMA, even faster than my normal fast access. Even
better. Great!

Thanks again!

-jim