Old July 6th 03, 07:27 PM
Mod

Default Dell Dimension XPS T450 - Upgrade advice sought.

A friend, who's not very computer literate, recently bought a second
hand Dell Dimension XPS T450 and wants me to upgrade his Graphics Card
and RAM
I'm not that familiar with Dell machines and would therefore be
obliged if someone could advise me as to which components are
compatible with this system.
Am I OK in assuming that I can install 2 sticks of 256 Mb PC100 SDRAM
and, say,
a 64Mb DDR GeForce 4 MX 440 AGP Graphics Card without any
compatibility issues?
A quick root around Dell's support site informs me that the board will
support a maximum of 768 MB RAM and has the following advice:

The system can take either Non-ECC(KTD-XPSRN/xx) or ECC(KTD-XPSR/xx)
memory. ECC and Non-ECC modules can be mixed but will not perform ECC
function. To have ECC function, ALL modules MUST be ECC.

Dell's recommended memory upgrade route is via kinston who'll charge
around £75 per 256 MB stick of RAM. I can, however, get generic
Non-ECC PC100 SDRAM locally for half that price.
Would it be OK for me to install the generic stuff?
Thanks in nadvance for any advice.
Cheers.
Mod.