Old May 10th 08, 07:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Default 7600GT AGP : Is this card defective ?

On May 10, 8:41*pm, "Augustus" wrote:
wrote in message

I bought a used 7600GT AGP card (BIG brand) to be used in a second
system thrown together from left-over parts. The config is -

Sempron 64 2500+ S754
Asrock K8Upgrade-VM800 (VIA chipset)
384MB DDR333 (PC2700)
200GB SATA HDD
DVD-R/W
450W PSU - not one of the big-name brands, but it has served me
well with a slightly higher configuration - A64 3000+, 1GB, 7600GT
PCI-E, 3xHDDs, DVD-R/W.
WinXP Pro SP2

Based on your description of the hardware, and what you did and how it
functioned and what happened, I would have to say that it's not a physical
problem with the actual 7600GT card, but more likely a mainboard, GART or
m/b chipset issue. VIA chipsets are notorious for glitchy issues. They mix
and match chips from different vendors and an have lots of issues in
comparison to others. It's not impossible *the card may have an issue, but I
realy doubt it in this case given your description and actions.

Thanks for the reply. I have this gut feeling (which is seldom
wrong) that it's as you say - that the card itself is not
defective, but I'm running out of ideas.

You might have missed the part where I said that I tried the card
on another mobo, a Biostar M7NCG-400. This one uses the NVidia
nForce2 chipset. I used this board as my main workhorse before I
upgraded to 64-bit some time ago and didn't have any problems.

I installed the VIA Hyperion driver, I tried to install the card
with WinXP SP1, SP2 and even SP3. I have Ghost backups of various
installations of WinXP, so it wasn't too time-consuming to try
them out.