Old March 6th 12, 09:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Stephen[_4_]

Default Can you use ecc ram on a non-ecc motherboard, such as ga-m68m-s2p

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 17:18:25 -0500, Paul wrote:

Asrock tries to do "non-mainstream" things. Like that example motherboard
I showed you, with two DDR2 slots and two DDR3 slots. You can't install
four DIMMs at the same time, with that setup. Only two at a time. Either
use two DDR2 sticks, or two DDR3 sticks, and the stick type supported
would be a function of the processor used. Some AMD processors support
both DDR2 and DDR3, in which case, you can use either.

My Asrock motherboard, has both an AGP video slot and a PCI express
video slot (and both could be used at the same time). Not many motherboards
are built like that! I suspect they made those motherboards, until they
ran out of chipsets to use. Asrock also made some motherboards, where
the processor was on a replaceable vertical module, so you could
do an upgrade without throwing away the base board.

I bought the Gigabyte board, only because I had not read your post at
the time and I have always used Gigabyte boards in the past, which is
perhaps a bit silly: just because something was good ten years ago
doesn't necessarily mean it is still the best today. For the same
reasons I still stick with AMD processors.

The features you describe sound very good, being able to use
difference types of RAM, video card, processors, etc suggest a very
future-proof board. I only wish I had read your post before I rushed
to buy!

Thanks,
Stephen.