Old August 23rd 04, 05:38 AM
Larry L.

If you allow me to say so, I think the difference between 400fsb and 533
is
noticable, but not to a very disturbing amount. Given that your 2.5/400 is
indeed a bit a setback why not go for a regular 6800, would match good

these
2, and save you quite some $$.

The GT seems to be the sweet spot -- $100 difference, but with a few fairly
substantial improvements like DDR3, twice the memory, etc. I figure that
this will give me a little more longevity overall -- i.e. the card could be
put in a MUCH faster system without becoming a bottleneck. The only
"gotcha" in this is if PCI-E gets popular REALLY fast, in which case the new
motherboard couldn't take an AGP card. I don't think this will happen as
fast as others think, however, given that the AGP slot is nowhere near being
a bottleneck yet -- i.e. how much "push" will there be for PCI-E graphics
cards given that the performance won't be effected by the current
generations of cards? Assuming my next system is still an AGP system, the
GT will be plenty powerful for a while still.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Larry