Old August 22nd 04, 02:35 PM
RancidButtChutney

"Larry L." wrote in message

I realize that a P4 2.5/400 with 1GB RDRAM (Rambus) is not terribly fast

You could try overclock the P4. I'm getting a rock solid 3.2GHz out of a P4
2.4C, and it makes a notable difference. Doom 3's timedemo with an OC'd
P4 and Ti 4200 (running at stock, because it doesn't OC very well) gives me
66.5 FPS at 640x480. FarCry averages at around 55 @ 800x600 with most
settings up full.

anymore, but I'm wondering just how "bad" it is for modern games like
Doom3,
and how much difference I'll get going to a better videocard. Will I get
much more going from a GF4 Ti4600 to a 6800GT on this system, or am I so
CPU
limited that I won't notice much difference other than having access to
higher resolutions? I've tried to find comparisons that might give

The newer generation of cards really come into their own at the higher
resolutions,
so if you stick to something reasonable with the Ti and are willing to drop
a little
IQ then the Ti is still acceptable.

To upgrade to a faster CPU, I'd have to get a new motherboard, and new
memory as well, which is a fairly large expense. A 6800GT, on the other
hand, is an easy upgrade that's not as expensive. Will a 6800GT breath a
little more life into this system, allowing me to hold off on a full
system
upgrade? On one hand I realize that a new system will be faster, but if

You'll get some degree of a performance boost, and the IQ will be much
better than the Ti. But at the end of the day, if your CPU can't handle the
game engines then no 3D card is going to able to render a scene at a
particularly decent framerate.