Old January 6th 05, 07:48 PM
Dorothy Bradbury

Iiyama were very very good around 1993-1996, their Pro models were
very sharp (Diamondtron tube when many others were inferior). Good
high-resolution refresh rates (although not spectacular) & long life.

The best place to post would be in sci.electronics.repair re the (large)
number of CRT repairers and some actual designers who lurk there.

Iiyama can adjust a monitor for you if you get to speak to an Engineer,
or at least did in the 1993-1996 era (they did for me, specially, as I am
blind as a bat). If the problem is a component spec or rating, that may
be fixable (and the engineers at Iiyama may know, albeit privately).

For many tasks CRTs are still superior to TFT:
o CRTs are easier to colour match & give better colour distribution
---- pre-press graphics still uses CRT almost exclusively
o TFTs can be higher contrast, but colour matching for graphics is poor
---- some Taxan & other TFTs are almost pre-press usable

The big disadvantage of CRT is the weight - and Iiyama used to be
somewhat heavier that most re physically moving the things around.
Blurring can be caused by shock/impact/vibration damage.

You might see if Iiyama will "work something out" with a TFT solution?

However, bear in mind the above caveats - CAD still seems better on CRT.
I've still not found a TFT which matched my (tweaked) 9017E in quality,
the Philips panels can be very good - a brand not often considered. Sorry
to see that CRT go, but had to simply re weight - plain immovable :-(

TFTs have a CFL tube-life of 30,000hrs or ~4yrs to brightness halving.
Something to consider - although most have illumination capability so
high they are quite usable for daylight viewing (not like laptop TFTs).
CRTs also have a "tube-life", but it is more typically 8-10yrs.

With CRTs it can be useful to actually go see the thing in person.
The 21" Iiyama around that era did vary somewhat across a line of ~8.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.dorothybradbury.co.uk for quiet Panaflo fans