Old November 26th 03, 06:55 PM
kony

On 26 Nov 2003 12:10:23 -0500, Sam Goldwasser
wrote:

kony writes:

On 26 Nov 2003 08:30:12 -0500, Sam Goldwasser
wrote:

A corrupted CMOS may inhibit power on.

It can prevent the system from POSTing, but without a viable BIOS,
even without the EEPROM in the board it should still be able to pull
the PSU power-on pin low, turn on the power supply so at least it's
fan would be spinning and voltage levels obtainable.

Apparently not. I had a Compaq system which played totally dead and resetting
the CMOS fixed it.

Hmmm. Leave it to Compaq to "fix" something that isn't broken...
every motherboard I've ever tried will turn on a power supply without
anything, even the EEPROM, plugged into it. Makes sense though, since
they often solder the EEPROM to the PCB.

The question at this point might be, "Which fan isn't turning?".
Apparently some Compaq systems do use logic for the CPU fan control,
it may not spin but the power supply fan should still be on.

Nothing, dead as a door stop.

I'm not entirely clear on which board the original poster had, perhaps
that info would help... possibly I have one here but once it's pulled
from the original case it's hard to tell

Dave