Old July 8th 03, 07:59 AM
envoy

tomcas wrote in alt.comp.hardware.pc-
homebuilt at Tue, 08 Jul 2003 02:11:37 GMT:

You mentioned some parts are scavenged, does that include the hard
drive? If so, did you try clearing the master boot record?

Both the drive and ata-100 cable are new. Oddly enough the cable that
works (ata-33) is scavanged. Since Im reluctant to reinstall the OS,
service packs, apps, etc. I'm trying to avoid anyting that messes up
the MBR, which is the reason I haven't tried to do anything except read
the drive so far.

I'll get a replacement ata100 cable tomorrow and if that doesn't work
I'll try ghosting my partition to another drive with the slow cable
then try creating and formatting partitions with the new cable. If I
can't write to the drive then I will strongly suspect the motherboard,
which _is_ scavanged (pulled from a system where the power supply blew
so it could have taken some kind of damage) but it has worked
faithfully for a week now except with the ata 100 cable. If that is the
case I will just live with the ATA-33 cable: I have 512MB of memory in
order to avoid a lot of swapping to disk anyway.

--
mark