Old September 18th 03, 12:40 PM
Steve Evans

On 18 Sep 2003 03:40:53 -0700, (Nada) wrote:

Steve Evans wrote:
I have an Athlon XP1900, 512Mb DDR, Abit KR7a (AGP 4x), GF3 Ti200
system.
Intrigued as to how much difference a 'current' graphics card would
make, I borrowed a 5600 non-ultra, put the latest drivers on and found
that I only got an increase of around 5fps in UT2003.
Changing the level of eye candy from within the game doesn't make a
great deal of difference to the frame rate, so I'm guessing that the
CPU is holding things back here....correct?

Cheers

I heard that the computer driven bot marines are actually 2D
pixelmonsters from Duke Nukem 3D when using the latest Detonators.
Which partly explains the increase. But seriously, I'd keep that
GeForce 3 and forget about the FX5600.

The moral of the story: A card purchased a year ago won't necessarily
be out-performed by a similarly priced card purchased today.
It's all a bunch of marketing arse

--
steveevans AT clara DOT co DOT uk