Old August 4th 03, 02:21 AM
J.Clarke

On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 22:17:02 GMT
"oodler" wrote:

"J.Clarke" wrote in message
On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 16:03:30 GMT
Did you try to put the board in? If so, what didn't fit--was the
connector too long, shifted to the front or back, the crosspieces in
the connector didn't match the cutouts in the board, something was
sticking up blocking the skirt in front, what?

It's bevelled wrong. At least I think the word is bevelled, but what
I'm referring to sounds like what you referred to as "crosspieces in
the connector"- that is, the spaces in between the electronic contacts
on the bottom of the card didn't match the AGP slot properly like my
3dfx card does. The very fact that the two are bevelled differently
set off an alarm in my head that tcwo may have sent me the wrong card,
but they refused to help me further when I returned it to them- which,
eh, Ped me the FO.

But anyway, does this give you any clearer an explanation of the
problem? I ran across a part of tcwo's help section that seemed to
give an idea of what went wrong in my case, but I didn't know what to
do with it exactly so I came here instead.
http://support.tcwo.com/detail.cfm?uniqueID=81

All that seems to say is that AGP 2X boards won't physically fit into
AGP 4x-only motherboards. That should not be an issue with the products
you mention.

I'm not really clear on what you mean by "bevel"--to me a bevel is
simply a relieved edge.

Thanks again

I've got a (dead--I have no idea why I put it in the attic instead
of tossing it) SE440BX sitting here in front of me right now and
every video board I have fits right into the slot.

As for boards fitting into slots, a board that is 2x-only will not
fit into a slot that is 4x-only, but any non-PCI GF2MX400 should
support both 2 and 4 and fit either slot.

Instead of tcwo, go over to http://www.newegg.com and look at the
boards and find one that has a connector that looks like the one on
your existing board--count contacts if you have to. When you find a
matching board, if there is something special about it there should
be some indication in the product description. An extra cutout in
the connector is OK, as is an additional skirt with no contacts on
the end away from the card bracket, but the connector should be the
same length (in terms of number of contacts) and the slot toward the
card bracket end should be the same number of contacts from the end.

Thanks

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)