Old November 2nd 07, 06:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Rick F

Default Any reason to NOT get a use Proliant DL580?

On Nov 1, 11:07 am, "Will" wrote:
"Rick F" wrote in message

ps.com...

On Oct 28, 12:53 am, "Jez T"
wrote:
900Mhz = DL580 G1.

Don't hold your breath on a reduction in power consumption. Rather, work

out
how much it will cost you to run over the lifetime of the server and

compare
that against the cost of the alternatives.

I run a home-built PC at home for all the server stuff I need...

Thanks Jez.. I think I'll probably pass on this one and opt for a
faster machine
if one comes along so the increase in cpu performance will be larger.
One reason
I really love the Proliant's is how rock-solid they are.. I get almost
no downtime
with these machines -- they really are rock-solid!

If cost is a primary issue for you, seriously consider the DL385 G2. With
two dual cores you have plenty of processing, and the G2 generation has a
variation (sorry I forget the part number) that is an energy saving version.
The energy savings were pretty substantial and you would probably get back
half the cost of the computer in three years on your energy bill.

Also definitely consider getting this in the 2.5" SAS drive format. SAS is
just fantastic technology. You can fit either 8 or 10 2.5" SAS drives in
the DL385 G2, and in our experience SAS is much faster, much more reliable,
much quieter, and MUCH less energy intensive than SCSI.

--
Will

Thanks for the info guys..