Old June 22nd 06, 07:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

Default Economics of SATA hard drive

Merrill P. L. Worthington wrote:
~misfit~ wrote:
Merrill P. L. Worthington wrote:

Warra wrote:

Am in the UK. Running an old system which works quite well: Via
266 mobo with Duron 1800 processor and 768MB of SD-RAM.

Will upgrade the system when I need the extra power. Currently
need to add to my data storage. Don't want to get Parallel IDE
(PATA) because newer mobos will support only SATA.

Can get a 250GB Samsung hard drive (from Komplett) for about £60
inc delivery which is a real bargain.

But a PCI SATA adaptor by Sunsway from the same dealer costs £19. It supports 2 SATA
devices. That is definitely not a bargain as
it's one- third of the price of the 250 GB drive! What a swizz!

What viable alternatives do I have?

Consider getting a PATA drive of whatever size fits your needs. When its time to move
to another motherboard, look for one that will
support the hard drive. If it only has one PATA interface, it may
be possible to use it for both the hard drive and a DVD drive. Since DVDs typically
runs at 66mhz, the hard drive would probably
run at that reduced bandwidth. BUT the good news is that hard
drives rarely transfer data any faster than that except for burst
from cache.

What a crock of misinformation!

Ya think? Prove it.

YOU made those stupid pig ignorant claims.

YOU get to do the proving.

THATS how it works.