Old April 30th 08, 02:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,de.comp.hardware.cpu+mainboard.amd,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
chrisv

Default AMD planning 45nm 12-Core 'Istanbul' Processor ?

krw wrote:

says...

I suppose if AMD hadn't been around, there would have been a greater
chance of Intel getting their butts whipped by some other architecture,
instead of by AMD.

What architecture? You grossly underestimate the x86 inertia.

Yeah, I recall how years ago some nutcases saying things like the
Pentium 3 (yes, the 3) was "already obsolete" upon release, because it
did not support IA64, which was set to blow X86 out of the market when
it was released.

Of course, more sensible minds thought "Huh? It'll be more expensive,
yet run all the software slower, since all the software is X86, so why
would I want it?"