Old January 30th 07, 04:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Albert Wiersch

Default Reboots since installing an XFX 7950

"Roger" wrote in message

Antec 450 watts... so I don't think so. Plus, my power meter (Kill-A-Watt)
never reads much above 200 watts when under load. Never seen it above 250

I doubt you'd want to pull 250 for very long out of a 450 supply. They
just don't have the duty cycle. Reading the reviews on NewEgg some
swear by Antec and some swear at them. It is an inexpensive supply.

When I overclock to 3.375GHz I have to raise the CPU voltage to 1.4V and it
pulls maybe 220 watts at the max under load. Most of the time it is less
than 200. But now I am just overclocking to 3.150GHz and can use normal
voltage and it is well below 200 watts (I think even when it's under load)
when I do it that way. It also keeps the CPU much cooler. I think I'll just
stick with 3.150GHz and not stress it so much. The little extra speed is
nice but not very noticable unless I do timed tests.

They recommend a 500 watt supply.

Remember that a supply will only be capable of reaching its ratings
when the loads are well balanced across all of the lines and then they
will only do it for a short time. These supplies are a long way from
100% duty cycle. figure 50 to 60% continuous on a good day. Changing
drivers may have helped reduce the load, but 450 along with an over
clocked core duo is really pushing it.

Thanks for the info. I thought Antec was suppose to be a better brand.
Though I believe one or two have gone out on me in several years, but I am a
heavy computer user with several computers.

I had a similar set up to what you have and it was so close to the
limit all I had to do was plug in one more 90 mm fan and it'd quit.
The symptoms were just as you describe.

I'm still hoping it was a driver issue. I haven't had the problem in several
days now.

Thanks,
Albert