Old January 30th 07, 01:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Roger

Default Reboots since installing an XFX 7950

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 19:31:50 -0600, "Albert Wiersch"
wrote:

"DaveW" wrote in message
You didn't give much info about your system, but my first take on it is
that you have too underpowered of a power supply unit to drive that card
and all your other computer components. That card is very power
demanding, but I don't know how many other components you have installed
in your system that are draining the PSU.

--
DaveW

Antec 450 watts... so I don't think so. Plus, my power meter (Kill-A-Watt)
never reads much above 200 watts when under load. Never seen it above 250

I doubt you'd want to pull 250 for very long out of a 450 supply. They
just don't have the duty cycle. Reading the reviews on NewEgg some
swear by Antec and some swear at them. It is an inexpensive supply.

watts.

I think so. :-))

They recommend a 500 watt supply.

Remember that a supply will only be capable of reaching its ratings
when the loads are well balanced across all of the lines and then they
will only do it for a short time. These supplies are a long way from
100% duty cycle. figure 50 to 60% continuous on a good day. Changing
drivers may have helped reduce the load, but 450 along with an over
clocked core duo is really pushing it.

I do have 3 hard drives in there (Raptor and two Seagate 7200.10 320GB) and
a DVD drive... 2 GB of RAM, a few fans. I think a 450 watt can handle all
that.

3 drives, an over clocked core duo, I'm running an Athlon FX 62 dual
core, (2800 core OC to 3,000) Sapphire 1950XT and 3 drive set up with
a 750 watt ThermalTake supply. It'll be getting a SATA RAID soon.

I had a similar set up to what you have and it was so close to the
limit all I had to do was plug in one more 90 mm fan and it'd quit.
The symptoms were just as you describe.

Now the smallest supply I'm using is over 500 watts. The others are
630 to 750 watts. No more marginal supplies for me.

Good luck,

Albert

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com