Old January 17th 11, 09:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
a1pcfixer

Default Need to upgrade an old GeForce 8500GT w/256ram

Paul,

A check of the power numbers here, shows the estimated power consumption
to be wildly optimistic. Measurements of a real card, yield 21W as
the peak power consumption of GT 220. In terms of your computer, that will be
coming from the 12V rail, and thus is a load of around 12V @ 2A, from the
motherboard slot connector.

Thanks for that info, it helps.
The following one you recommended is more towards what I'd like to get........

Http://www.gpureview.com/GeForce-GT-...-card-619.html

That one is looking mighty good!

I noticed the reviews stating these cards have an onboard audio chip, ported
through the HDMI connection. I don't (yet) use the HDMI port, and my onboard
MoBo audio is disabled, instead running my audio via an external Creative Labs
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Video Editor (USB 2.x connection)

Do you see any problems with that GT 240 card's onboard audio & my setup?

Maybe my current 8500GT has it too & I didn't notice as I'm not using the HDMI
port?

Jim L.